Energy Efficiency & Sustainability
Conservation of energy and the use of renewable materials in building is essential to being a responsible citizen.
- The firm has applied the principles of sustainability and energy efficiency to project design since it was established.
- The firm is a member of LEED.
- Projects are design to many LEED standards whether the client pursues certification or not.
Elements incorporated into projects to achieve energy efficiency:
- Building orientation
- Natural ventilation - Operable windows
- Day lighting
- Sun screens and/or light shelves
- Outside air for cooling when available
- Omit air conditioning where possible
- Indirect lighting
- Lighting controls to turn off lights when outside light provides adequate levels of lighting
Terry Rommel has stated: "Most of the principles used in sustainable design are ones we learned in school"