Earl Boyles School Addition & Renovation

Portland, Oregon
Completed: 2004
Area: 50,000 sf

NSBA Technology + Learning
Exhibit Selection

Earl Boyles School opened in 1955 and by the year 2000 needed a complete renovation to meet the needs of 21st Century schools.

The goal was to develop an elementary magnet school with a focus on technology; create an energy efficient school; and provide community access.

The program required adding five classrooms, a gymnasium, a media center, and a computer lab. The additional spaces created an interior courtyard that is surrounded by classrooms and anchored by the Media Center at one end. A loop corridor system runs through the heart of the school, the Media Center. All existing classrooms and support facilities were upgraded.

The canopy, the entry arch and the entry roof create a graceful transition into the building from the street while providing a safe bus loading area. The brick clad cafeteria and gymnasium bracket the low profile classroom structures.

The gymnasium, the cafeteria and the media center are activities used by the community and are located on the perimeter of the school and provide easy access.

Technology was addressed with a wireless network so each classroom can have a laptop computer at each desk and use the computer for regular instruction. In addition, a computer lab is located adjacent to the Media Center.

Energy efficiency was achieved by implementing the goals for high performance schools.

  < Previous     Next >